Monday, May 10, 2010

Internship Day One

Just a 'brief' description of how my day was:
I woke up at 5.11am, surprisingly... without the help from my friendly neighbour - yongxin (who himself slept until 6+ before waking up)... Had cereal + strawberry + milk for breakfast... After getting ready for everything, I went out to wait for bus at about 7.23am. I was suppose to report in at 8.30am. The office is situated at HarbourFront Tower One. The whole journey took me about 20mins, as traffic was smooth flowing without much jam.

I arrived at the place together with the receptionist and he opened the door for me bcoz I haven't got my access card yet. I sat at sofa at the lobby, and whilst waiting for time to pass, I watch abit of financial news on TV (I think it's Bloomberg - the default channel for the tv)... At 8.30am, the Learning & Development Manager - Lynette showed up and brought us to a conference room whereby we would have our orientation. There were 6 interns: 4 from NTU and 2 from NUS. She gave us a file each with the powerpoint slides in it, and then she started her 'lecture'. After finishing the introduction, and also abit of logistic matters, we (the 6 of us) proceeded to the Jurong Island Pass Office by cab to get our passes done. Initially I didn't know why we had to apply for the Jurong Island Entry Pass as the 5 of us are based in HarbourFront, with only the odd one - the other guy from NUS who is doing Chem Eng having to work at the plant at Jurong island. Apparently we'll be having a 2nd round of 'orientation' somewhere in mid June where all of us would get a chance to visit the plant(s) in Jurong island. I guess it'll be a good experience for us to at least know how Jurong island is and also how the plant looks like, rather than to just work in HarbourFront and know totally nothing about what's going on on the other side.

After we got our passes done, we cabbed back to vivo city and we had our lunch at the Kopitiam foodcourt at the basement level. I had 排骨王饭 at an affordable price of $4? $4.50? Maybe I should apply for the privilege card, so that I'll be entitled for 20% discount, since I think I might end up having lunch quite frequently over there. We then went back to the office and looked for the lady to settle some issues. After we've gotten all the logistic matters settled, every one of us proceeded to our respective workstations. I'm situated at the 17th floor, with another girl (enterprise risk mgt) and another guy (physical trading). 2 girls (marketing and call centre) are posted at the 16th floor, and the poor guy had to cab to Jurong island by himself (but luckily the cab fares are claimable, so not too bad la... HAHA...)

It all started to become kikshou from here onwards. Last week, my manager already informed me that I'll be attached to my supervisor and that she herself would be on leave today, so the supervisor would take care of my needs. Today, my supervisor called for MC, and so I'm like a 'dragon without a head'. I don't know what to do, apart from getting my PC set up. I'm impressed that the company has their own IT division where u call the extension and they'll answer all your queries. If they can't solve it through the phone, they'll send someone on-site to go to your place and fix the problem for you. After setting up everything, it's still only 2.30pm... What am I supposed to do for the remaining 3hrs? And so I started fb-ing, google-ing... and also checking out the company's intranet and reading some info about the company. And at 5.30pm sharp, everybody left the office, and this implies that their working hrs are 8am-5.30pm. Actually my company has staggered working hrs, and so by right everyone shouldn't end work at the same time but according to your own preference. You can come in as early as 7.30am and end at 5pm, or you can come in at 9.30am and end at 7pm. Actually I didn't what time I should come in the next day, but the person who briefed me was occupied talking to the VP for Corporate Services. Luckily the lady sitting next to me started chatting with me, and I asked her what's our working hrs, and she said a very affirmative 8am. So I guess I'll have to reach there by 8am tmr morning, just to give a good impression on the '1st' day of work. Hopefully my manager or/and supervisor will show up tmr, if not I'll spend my whole day doing nothing (and get sleepy/drowsy/sian).

P/s: I think I'll bring my mug to work tmr so I can help myself with all the beverages available. 8am-5.30pm it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment